Static vs SLAAC - Static expected to be preferred?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Apr 28 01:01:52 CEST 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:22:24 -0700
Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:

> On 04/27/2011 14:38, Mark Smith wrote:
> > So Doug, in those sorts of scenarios, if you configured a server with a
> > static address (using the default preferred and valid lifetimes of
> > infinite), would you expect that static address to be used in
> > preference to any other addresses the server acquired (with lower
> > value preferred lifetimes), such as SLAAC addresses?
>
> You missed my actual question.

Servers (or rather all end-hosts) usually do SLAAC by default. So you'd
have to deconfigure/disable SLAAC (which may not be a trivial task) as
well as configure a static address.

I think it'd be simpler just to add a static IPv6 address to a host and
then have it override what ever addresses that SLAAC or stateful DHCPv6
have provided (presuming infinite preferred and valid lifetimes), rather
than also have to got to effort of either changing the source address
policy table (if SLAAC is compulsory) or also have to disable SLAAC.

> To answer yours, I would not configure a
> server to use both static addresses, and SLAAC.

So would you be happy to go the effort of modifying the address
selection policy table to prefer your static address(es) over SLAAC
ones if you were in an environment where SLAAC on the link was also
compulsory, as in Geert's original scenario it is?

Thanks,
Mark.