Static vs SLAAC - Static expected to be preferred?

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Thu Apr 28 15:54:02 CEST 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 1:45 PM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>>> Fully agreed here too. If I have configured a static IPv6 address I
>>> expect it to be used in preference to a SLAAC address.
>>
>> I'm confused. If you're assigning static addresses, why are you also
>> using SLAAC?
>
> I'm not :-)  But if I'm using a system where I have configured a static
> IPv6 address *and* the system "behind my back" also acquires a SLAAC
> address - I expect my static address to be used.
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

You are probably missing the proper configuration directives, ex:

# /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
IPV6FORWARDING=no
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
IPV6_AUTOTUNNEL=no
IPV6_DEFAULTGW=fe80::1
IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=eth0

# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6ADDR=2001:db8:xxxx:yyyy::zzzz/64     # replace with your static address

Cheers,
Dale