IPv6 site snapshot

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Apr 28 02:27:18 CEST 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 8:16 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 04/27/2011 13:25, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> 	So, some further research here.
>>
>> 	1) Appears there is a FreeBSD bug with getaddrinfo() when it queries for AAAA when it points to a cname.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=156684&cat=
>
> It's not clear to me what you think the bug is. I looked at the www.apple.com example in your PR, the ones you listed below, and spot-checked a bunch of the hostnames in your freebsd.errors list. They fall broadly into 2 groups, either an empty CNAME chain or ANSWER=0. In either case, what do you think getaddrinfo()'s appropriate course of action should be given that there is no AAAA record to return? Please understand, this is not a snark, if there is a bug we want to fix it, but I'm genuinely confused.

It should return "hostname nor servname provided, or not known" vs "Non-recoverable failure in name resolution".  The second error indicates there is some other upstream error, eg SERVFAIL with the resolution.

I'm actually trying to not snark really bad about FreeBSD on this topic, i've had poor results with defects being fixed and watched some things noticed in a -RC go out in -RELEASE when they would cause a host to be unusable after freebsd-update. (another topic entirely).

- Jared