How to report IPv6 bug to Microsoft - Vista and 7 won't "undeprecate" a prefix

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Thu Apr 7 16:59:59 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 03:34:36PM +0930, Mark Smith wrote:

Hello,

> A number of our customers are having trouble with IPv6 under Windows
> Vista and 7 on our IPv6 trial.

I cannot help you with your problem, but I also have some issues with
Windows 7 and IPv6. Maybe someone has an idea how to fix this:

We have an internal network with about 200 clients. Mostly Dell Desktops
from the past three years with different operating systems (various
Linux distributions, Windows XP, Windows 7). A few MacOS boxes as well.
The router is a Cisco 6500 with SXI5, the switching infrastructure are
non-IPv6-aware HP Procurve.  We run non-standard timers here (RA
interval 10s, RA lifetime 30s, Prefix valid for 86400s, preferred for
1800s).

Every once in a while a Windows 7 box gets broken IPv6. Symptoms are a
deprecated address and no default route. It pretty much acts like it
does not receive the RAs anymore. But the RAs are there (verified with
Wireshark on the affected client and from other clients which work just
fine). Most of the times the issue can be fixed by disabling/reenabling
the network interface on the client.

Mostly we have seen this issue with clients that have been suspended a
few times, but today I had a client that had just rebooted. Basically
the expiry timers started running when the box was booted up and never
got refreshed.

Anyone got similar experiences?

Bernhard