How to report IPv6 bug to Microsoft - Vista and 7 won't "undeprecate" a prefix

Christian Hahn hahn at berkom.de
Thu Apr 7 09:20:11 CEST 2011

Hi Mark,

> When the ADSL link comes up again, and the CPE re-acquires the same delegated
> prefix, it re-announces the same /64 onto the LAN with a non-zero preferred
> lifetime. Windows Vista and 7 receive and update the non-zero prefix lifetimes
> for the addresses, but do not change the addresses back to preferred. Windows XP
> does, as do other operating systems. Windows Vista and 7 not setting the
> addresses back to preferred seems to then cause IPv6 connectivity to then fail,
> causing Vista and 7 to revert back to using IPv4 only. Windows Vista and 7 have
> no trouble at this time with new prefixes, so the issue seems to be specifically
> related to changing a previously deprecated prefix back to a preferred one.
We discovered this bug during some lab testing by coincidence back in 2009,
please see conversation on this list in the archives starting with message:
http://lists.cluenet.de/pipermail/ipv6-ops/2009-December/002718.html

I was privately contacted by Sean Siler of Microsoft (who should be still on the
list), but after some mail exchanges there was nothing but silence :(
We tried the "official" way of bug reporting but where discouraged by the
procedures which included also money.
In the end I gave up since this isn't my main business. I last checked if the
bug exists in December 2010 and now you give me the confirmation that it still
exists.

Some side informations:
1) We discovered that the generated privacy addresses will not be renewed in the
described scenario.
2) You can reproduce this behavior without sending PIO with PrefLT=0 if you send
the Vista/Win7 system in standby and wake it up after time X.
Where X is defined as ValidLifetime > X > PreferredLifetime.

good luck,
Christian