removing stateless auto-configured addresses/routes?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Apr 4 16:27:58 CEST 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> I was just wondering, is there a convention for how and when an
> autoconfigured IPv6 address should be disabled?  I imagine the address
> should go away when the link drops?

Yes.

> When I plug my Debian Linux laptop into most of our networks, an IPv6
> address is autoconfigured as expected.  However, if I disconnect, the
> address persists.  If I then plug into another network, that address still
> persists and if I try to connect to remote IPv6 hosts, the connection will
> fail until I delete the stale address.

Correct.

> I'm going to report a bug, I'm just not clear who to yet.  The
> network-manager on linux seems logical (as it does this job for IPv4) but
> network-manager doesn't configure the IPv6 address (I guess the kernel
> does?), so perhaps it's unfair to expect network-manager to remove it.

I doubt you'll get much interest, in my opinion, what you describe hasn't
been a focus for neither Debian nor Ubuntu. Anyhow, the connection manager
needs to clear IPv6 address just like it clears the IPv4 address when the
link goes down.

Ubuntu behaves exactly the same one, one might say they got IPv6 for free
with the kernel and it seems nobody cares more than that. People have
logged bug cases afaik, and even though the connection manager in Ubuntu
10.10 nowadays seem to have IPv6 support (it has an ipv6 tab), so far I
haven't been able to get it to do what I want.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se