removing stateless auto-configured addresses/routes?

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Mon Apr 4 15:45:38 CEST 2011

Hi,

I was just wondering, is there a convention for how and when an
autoconfigured IPv6 address should be disabled?  I imagine the address
should go away when the link drops?

When I plug my Debian Linux laptop into most of our networks, an IPv6
address is autoconfigured as expected.  However, if I disconnect, the
address persists.  If I then plug into another network, that address still
persists and if I try to connect to remote IPv6 hosts, the connection will
fail until I delete the stale address.

I'm going to report a bug, I'm just not clear who to yet.  The
network-manager on linux seems logical (as it does this job for IPv4) but
network-manager doesn't configure the IPv6 address (I guess the kernel
does?), so perhaps it's unfair to expect network-manager to remove it.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Gavin