I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Wed Sep 29 18:15:18 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:19:32AM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>don't be ridiculous.  ?50 per annum per assignment is peanuts compared to
>the charges for cross-connects, routers, expertise, hosting space, metro
>ethernet links, etc that you require for effective use of a PI block.

The 50 quid aren't the issue, really, nor is the contract signing. The problem
is the bureaucracy and general intrusiveness (please give us a complete business
plan for this space) as implemented.

(Which is, to be fair, not the fault of the policy. Also I've not had a PIv6
request yet, so I don't know if that problem exists there to that extent.)
It also, on further thought, doesn't impact the end-user as much as the small
LIR that has to spend days to handle these requests.

>"Anti-competitive" means that you discriminate against one or more specific
>groups of users.  ?50 per annum does not discriminate against anyone.

Well, one can argue that the existence of "PI/PA space" separates address space
users into two classes, "ISP" (the "landlord") and "end user" (the "serf" that
preferrably is bound to the "land"). A distinction that I had hoped - to desperately
try to stay on-topic - would go away with IPv6.

cheers,
s.