I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Sep 29 10:55:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:47:10AM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > What we have now is by no means the perfect solution, but it's a good
> > compromise: it's balancing the extreme positions ("no PI at all" and "PI
> > for everybody, I don't care for the routing table") into something that
> > makes both sides unhappy, but both sides can (obviously) live with it,
> > otherwise the policy would not have reached consensus.
>
> I would like a DFZ slot to cost at least USD1000 per year. I don't care
> who get's the money, I just want the money to be paid so people don't do
> it without good reason.

Yes, this is an idea I've also toyed with - and it would nicely self-
regulate those that think they need to deaggregate their /16 into /24s
today, etc.

OTOH, I can already hear Sascha Luck screaming "evil cartel!!!"...

> Unfortunately there is no payment model that makes any sense apart from
> the ones currently paid to the RIR/LIR for holding the "resource" and I
> think that's also a fair compromise.

And indeed, payment & policing is going to make this fail - we already
have arguments surrounding routing certificates due to people not wanting
to give "anybody" control over their routing...

Gert Doering
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279