I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Sep 29 10:35:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:26:32PM +0000, Sascha Luck wrote:
> Besides, you don't have to spend weeks convincing the attendant that you are
> using your tankful for legitimate purposes. This "policy" is *explicitly*
> designed to favour Big Telco who has a legal/compliance department to deal
> with that BS.

Just to clean up some of the FUD.

"Big Telcos" don't use PI (in IPv6), they use PA.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before attacking people in public
that try to find working compromises?

What we have now is by no means the perfect solution, but it's a good
compromise: it's balancing the extreme positions ("no PI at all" and
"PI for everybody, I don't care for the routing table") into something
that makes both sides unhappy, but both sides can (obviously) live with
it, otherwise the policy would not have reached consensus.

(And it took us 3 years to reach consensus, because the "we cannot have
IPv6 PI at all!" camp was quite adamant about not opening the floodgates)

> > Having >a policy that says "if you have less than 500 employees, you MUST NOT
> > have a routing table slot" - now *that* would be anticompetitive)
>
> Effectively, 2007-01 does precisely that. You admitted as much yourself:
> "Not high enough to seriously impact larger enterprises, but annoying
> enough to drive away "barbershop sized businesses""

Signing the contract and paying 50 EUR a year is hardly something a garage
shop cannot *afford*.

But it makes them think on whether they really *need* this.

PI is not a status symbol.  It's one option in a tool box, and having
some (trivial) hurdles in the way is there to make people think twice
whether it's the right tool for them.

Gert Doering
        -- RIPE APWG chair
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279