I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Havard Eidnes he at nordu.net
Wed Sep 29 10:18:10 CEST 2010

>> Okay, so now I'm a content provider that *still* has to
>> associate IP addresses to domain names for SSL-based services.
>> I have four transit providers and about 80 direct peers.  I
>> now have to attach "an" IP (/64 likely) for each host from
>> each provider to ensure reachability.  And what of my peers?
>> What will I announce to them?
>
> Well, this is frankly a pretty clear case of a grossly
> multi-homed domain that topologically makes sense to be PI.
>
> However, if you wanted to do this with PA, you'd get 84
> prefixes, one from each of your upstreams.  You'd advertise 84
> locators for your domain via DNS. And nothing in BGP would be
> in the DFZ.

84?!?  You've got to be kiddng!

A peer isn't an upstream.

Who's to say that a peer has any addresses to assign to you?  The
peer could just as well be a PA client of his upstream(s).

In my book that would instead mean 4 PA prefixes (one per
upstream provider, who actually provide you with bit transport
for payment), where these more specific routes (typically 4x /48
prefixes) are announced to your peers.

Regards,

- Håvard