I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Sascha Lenz slz at baycix.de
Wed Sep 29 09:38:07 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 29.09.2010 um 00:26 schrieb Sascha Luck:

[...]
> If petrol price was artifically inflated to an extent that only $large_enterprise could afford it, those responsible would be burned alive - and rightly so.
> Besides, you don't have to spend weeks convincing the attendant that you are
> using your tankful for legitimate purposes. This "policy" is *explicitly* designed to favour Big Telco who has a legal/compliance department to deal with that BS.

seriously? Your "barbershop" is incapable of a) signing a contract from a LIR b) finding a copy of your company registration papers and c) pay the what - 100?200? bucks a year the LIR might
charge for this?

Wow, how on earth does this "barbershop" do their real barber business if they are unable to sign contracts and don't have some cent a day to pay their suppliers?
I wasn't aware that you need a legal department for signing contracts with your suppliers and they give you their goods for free. Must have missed that.

Or on-topic:

The current policy (in RIPE-land, possibly other RIR's too) is the right way to go, not this draft:
Limit the use of PI by making it more complicated to obtain and maintain than PA, but don't forbid it,
if someone needs PI, they need to be able to get it. There is no other real multihoming solution yet and becoming
a LIR is not always an option/too expensive.

The former solution about "PI doesn't cost anything - ever, requires almost no paperwork and has multiple advantages over PA"
is quite stupid in the light of what also was discussed in this thread here. We really don't need the DFZ polluted
more than absolutely necessary. This really might get problematic one day with IPv6.

But not allowing PI at all is even more stupid since it doesn't reflect the real world requirements.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards

Sascha Lenz [SLZ-RIPE]
Senior System- & Network Consultant