Quoting RFC2860 [Re: I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt]

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Sep 28 14:55:41 CEST 2010

On 27/09/2010 23:35, Tony Li wrote:
> - We use ILNP (or similar) for v6 to decouple locators from identifiers.

off-topic rambling:

on the issue of decoupling locator and identifier,  I'm still not really
sure that any L/I separation is really going to fix our problems in the
long term.  In fact, we already use a form of locator / identifier
separation: ASN and prefix.  We could - with some work - implement L/I
separation by creating a new BGP / core router model which made routing
decisions on the basis of AS identifier only, and not per-prefix.

But I can't help wondering that if we perform our routing decisions based
solely on locator (e.g. ASN or other) and not identifier, then we commit
ourselves to trashing our current traffic engineering flexibilities.  If we
decide we want traffic engineering capabilities again, we need to introduce
a routing protocol which also discriminates on the basis of the identifier.
  And that's hardly an improvement on what we have right now.

Nick
/me goes off to read up on the latest coolness for L/I separation which
hopefully deal with all these problems