I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 28 07:55:04 CEST 2010

On 09/27/10 15:24, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> In my case - and I suspect many others too - it's not a question of
> "don't like", but rather "can't justify the budget or time required".
> Again, this relates to IETF activities not directly putting bread on my
> table or paying my mortgage. Sorry, but I don't work for a large company
> which can afford to send me to three meetings a year in far-flung
> places, and where there is no tangible, short-medium term return on
> financial investment. This sucks, but I don't have a choice in the matter.

Even (or especially) at American research universities, where there was
once substantial involvement in the development and implementation of
standards for, and operation of, the Internet, it is pretty much a
non-starter to attempt to justify attendance at IETF meetings.  For
those who pay the bills--with increasingly austere budgets--the
perceived bang for the buck just isn't there.  Perceptions rule, whether
they're correct or not.

There are several misunderstandings between the ops and standards
communities.  I have tried to illustrate some of those on the ops side
that I think will end up hindering this effort.  I think the PA/PI
question is a bit of a minefield; who put the mines there or whether
they had any justification for doing so is interesting, but not relevant
to the person walking through the minefield.  The notion that the ops
folks don't want to go to IETF meetings is a similar misunderstanding on
the IETF side.

And yes, I do very much appreciate that Fred has brought this up on this
mailing list and that we're having this conversation.

michael