I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Sep 28 00:24:09 CEST 2010

On 27/09/2010 23:36, Fred Baker wrote:
> So you would very strongly prefer a world in which router memory sizes
> are required to be effectively infinite.

Fred, let's leave the straw men in the basket.

As stated many times before, by many people - PI provides multihoming
capability and provider independence at low levels of both cost and
complexity.  There are no other ways of implementing provider addressing
independence, and no feasible ways of implementing end-site multihoming.

Let's put this another way:  if I were a small hosting company, my
requirement to put bread on my table and pay my mortgage would trump your
desire to keep the dfz small.  This is the reality that many people face.

Yes, this is the tragedy of the commons.  No, operators don't like it.

But for the record, let me repeat once more:  there will be no solution to
the problem of PI until the multihoming and provider independence problems
have been solved.  If these things are fixed, then operators will listen to
your pleas that PI needs to be ditched, but not before.  In the interim, we
will continue to do our best to aggregate PA and to discourage people from
using PI, where possible.

> seem to think that the IETF (and therefore the vendors, as operators
> tell us they don't like to attend IETF meetings)

In my case - and I suspect many others too - it's not a question of "don't
like", but rather "can't justify the budget or time required".  Again, this
relates to IETF activities not directly putting bread on my table or paying
my mortgage.  Sorry, but I don't work for a large company which can afford
to send me to three meetings a year in far-flung places, and where there is
no tangible, short-medium term return on financial investment.  This sucks,
but I don't have a choice in the matter.

Nick