I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Sun Sep 26 20:14:58 CEST 2010

Hi Gert,

>> They are obliged to work within the architecture that IETF lays out.
>
> As long as the IETF creates an architecture that enables the RIRs and
> the members to actually make good use of the technology, I can see good
> coorporation happen.  (Obligation?  Where is this written down?  Signed
> by whom?).

RFC 2860.  As quoted in our draft:

	  The MoU directs IANA to comply with "the criteria and procedures
	  specified in RFCs, including Proposed, Draft, and full Internet
	  Standards and Best Current Practice documents" (section 4.1).

> If the IETF tries to mandate something that the RIR members don't accept,
> what then?

I'm very hopeful that we don't have to explore that path.

> Address allocation is massively influenced by economic factors.  So trying
> to dictate allocation policy and at the same time claiming "economics are
> of no interest to us" is FAIL.

Again, there is a separation between policy and architecture.  No one is trying to dictate anything, we're simply trying to agree on a scalable architecture.  It is in everyone's interest to have a sustainable Internet and in no one's interest to see it collapse.

Tony