I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sun Sep 26 11:18:46 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:59:21AM -0700, Tony Li wrote:
> Well, as we point out in the draft, the RIRs indirectly work for the IETF.

Now that's an interesting statement.

I always thought that the RIRs work for their members.

> They are obliged to work within the architecture that IETF lays out.

As long as the IETF creates an architecture that enables the RIRs and
the members to actually make good use of the technology, I can see good
coorporation happen.  (Obligation?  Where is this written down?  Signed
by whom?).

If the IETF tries to mandate something that the RIR members don't accept,
what then?

[..]
> The IETF doesn't pretend to be involved in economic issues, as you well know.

Address allocation is massively influenced by economic factors.  So trying
to dictate allocation policy and at the same time claiming "economics are
of no interest to us" is FAIL.

(The IETF tried this before, with the "there must only be 8192 TLAs in
the default-free zone" approach - and never came up with any guidance
that enabled anyone to decide who is big enough to receive a TLA, and who
has to adjust their business model to "no, you are too small, base your
whole ISP operation on 3rd-party space".  FAIL.).

> Again, we're not here to discuss policy.  Our point is about
> architecture.  Policy decides who qualifies for what role.  Architecture
> is deciding how the technical pieces must be put together to scale.

So, where is the bit in an IPv6 header that says "this address is PA"
and "that address is PI"?

>From an architecture point of view, both PI and PA are just "blocks of
addresses used to number devices and visible in the global routing table".

The difference is purely policy-wise: what strings are attached to this
specific block of addresses, what price tag is attached.

Now, I'm not saying that PI is the "right" or "only" way forward - but some of
the statements made above just don't reflect my pocket of reality.

Gert Doering
        -- RIPE address policy wrangler
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279