6VPE Route Reflector

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 19:22:17 CEST 2010

I made some assumption about how Cisco 7609 SRC4 code acts when
configured as a BGP route reflector.  I assumed the route reflector
process was pure control plane and i would be able to use my existing
IPv4 BGP route reflectors to work for the 6VPE routes.  I just
activate this new vpnv6 address family and it would just work.

But, in my lab, when i went to configure address-family vpnv6, the
router informed me that i would need to turn on IPv6 unicast routing
first.

(config)#router bgp 65100
(config-router)#address-family vpnv6
% IPv6 routing not enabled
(config-router)#

This is not a huge setback, but it was an unexpected step.  Does
anyone know a way around this requirement on a route reflector?  I
assume adding "ipv6 unicast-routing" enables some code pieces that are
required for the route reflector to choose routes  and handle the ipv6
data structures, but my concern is that it also turns on other IPv6
bits that i don't want to have on my route reflector at this point.

Cameron