Addressing Plans -- Bottom-up?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Sep 9 23:26:43 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 05:18:14PM -0400, Devon True wrote:
> Talking with a co-worker about our IPv6 addressing plan and he mentioned
> reading about some providers starting at the end of their /32 rather
> than the beginning. I did some Google searching and reading through this
> list's archives, but could not find anyone talking about that. Is anyone
> addressing from the "bottom-up"? The approaches I saw were "top-down".

We do "all across the place"... :-)

It really depends on the structure of your network.  If you have many
POPs and don't know how much address space each individual POP is going
to need, and POPs keep getting added all the time, you want something
like the "binary chop" algorithm, helping per-POP aggregation.

If your network is fairly static, just distribute your /32 (or whatever)
to your pops, like "a /36 for each of my 10 POPs, keeping 6 in reserve",
and then assign linearily in there - bottom-up, top-down, whatever you
gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  155817

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279