Windows Vista / 7 - pure IPv6 (NATPT)

Brandon Applegate brandon at burn.net
Wed Sep 1 22:05:24 CEST 2010

Sorry to talk to myself here - but I've figured it out.

When my clients were using the patched BIND from
http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca/ - both AAAA and A answers come back.

I reconfigured the dhcp pool to give out an address that corresponds to
the NATPT prefix of our existing resolvers.  This triggers the "DNS ALG"
functionality in IOS, and I seem to only get AAAA back now.

So in short, it appears that Windows 7 fails using the patched BIND DNS64
solution above, but works as expected using the built in DNS ALG in IOS.

--
Brandon Applegate - CCIE 10273
PGP Key fingerprint: