In an IPv6 future, how will you solve IPv4 connectivity?

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 02:11:08 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Gert Doering wrote:
>
>> People buy new cell phones all the time.  And a fairly large number of
>> cell phones already support IPv6 *today* (almost everything Nokia ships, at
>> least, dunno about the rest).
>
> So, N900 still doesn't without hacking things under the bonnet (and its
> connection manager can't be configured for IPv6 only, you have to piggy-back
> a second IPv6-APN on an IPv4 one). Symbian, yes. What about all the other

N900 now does IPv6-only, with some hacking under the bonnet, so things
are evolving.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60320&page=13

http://code.google.com/p/n900ipv6/wiki/README

> phones, the cheaper ones (non smart-phones)? I don't know, but I doubt it.

I had a meeting with all my handsets OEM back in May and made them
aware of our IPv6-only plans.  Handset requirements are a give and
take, so i cannot say all handsets will be IPv6-only with full
capabilities overnight, but the request / requirement has been made.

As you may know, Android is also coming along with ipv6 support

http://groups.google.com/group/tmoipv6beta/browse_thread/thread/115945312dd5f819

But, i see the real near term opportunity is in the mid range Symnbian
phones.  I have been using IPv6-only with NAT64 on the Nokia 5230 and
E73 since March of this year, and i believe the experience is very
similar to IPv4. All my core functionality (web, email, maps, youtube,
podcast...) works flawlessly.  Some things don't work, but i regard
them as minor and they too will be resolved in time.

Cameron