Server addressing for renumbering ease

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sun Nov 7 00:24:39 CET 2010

On 11/6/2010 4:06 PM, George Bonser wrote:
>> Some other options:
>>> * Solaris lets you configure just the host-part, and it takes
>>> the network-part from RAs. This seems ideal, but it only works on
>>> solaris.
> Yeah, I really like that.  I wish Linux supported it, too.  In fact,
> I wish that option was incorporated in the standard as an option for
> anyone to use.  If that were the case, renumbering would be easy and
> I would be willing to accept the prefix(s) from the RA.

I've actually looked at incorporating that option into FreeBSD but the
problem is that the client side of our RA support works according to the
spec so there is no clean way to handle it.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure about others, but this is one of the primary use
cases I have in mind for DHCPv6 PD.

>>> * Use a configuration management system (puppet, chef, cfengine,
>>> etc) to assign addresses, so you can do find/replace in one place
>>> during renumbering. This would require being very careful as you
>>> risk breaking the connection to the config server itself.
> Yeah, more "moving parts".  One screwup and you risk making your site
> unavailable.  Not an option.

For people with 1,000's, or even 10's of 1,000's of servers this is a
moving part that is absolutely required; however they tend to have
appropriate QA mechanisms in place as well. :)

Doug

			-- OK Go