It appears that Cisco does not support stateful DHCPv6 unless it's for prefix delegation

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Nov 4 05:04:37 CET 2010

Thanks for the clue.  I discovered that later on a Cisco page which lists
out minimum releases for IPv6 features on certain software trains:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-roadmap.htm
It looks like the feature is called "DHCP- DHCPv6 individual address
assignment" and is only available on 12.4(24) and SE46, or above.

Frank