So why is "IPv4 with longer addresses" a problem anyway?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon May 31 17:38:02 CEST 2010

On 31/05/2010 14:50, Rickman, Phil wrote:
> one final point.
> I am curious how you wish to dynamic assign 2,000 clients, for an
> examples, gateways if DHCPv6 does not support it?
> Planning to run around statically configuring them all?

This is the irony, isn't it?  One of the selling points of ipv6 was that it
supported auto-configuration from day 1.  13 years later, we only recently
have functional protocol support for auto-configuration / auto-assignment,
and even at that, the client side support is still pretty immature.

At least Windows vista/7, Linux and FreeBSD all support dhcpv6.  I look
forward to seeing os/x support some time soon.

Nick