Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu May 27 21:36:21 CEST 2010

On 5/27/2010 9:48 AM, David Barak wrote:
> --- On Thu, 5/27/10, Gert Doering<gert at space.net>  wrote:
>>
>> (Of *course* IPv6 is different, that's the whole
>> point.  We don't want
>> no legacy IP anymore)
>
> What's this "we" of which you speak?
>
> There are a whole lot of folks who think that IPv4 is a perfectly fine protocol, and the major problem with it is that its finitude is too close at hand.

IPv4 isn't a protocol.  IPv6 isn't a protocol, either.

TCP, UDP, ICMP, those are protocols.  IPv4 vs IPv6 is
an ADDRESSING SCHEME

Do you really, honestly, think that it would be a Good Thing
for every host on the Internet to be known by 2, incompatible,
addressing schemes?

Do you really, honestly, think that it would be a Good Thing
for some hosts on the Internet to be known by 1 addressing
scheme and for others to be known by a different, incompatible
addressing scheme?  Particularly when the protocols in use
under those schemes are the same?

We ALREADY use multiple addressing schemes to identify hosts ON
AN INTERNAL LAN.  We can use IPX addressing, or Appleytalk, or just
plain old Mac addresses as in NetBEUI.  And that has worked out so well
that just about all orgs got rid of those other addressing schemes
years ago.

Ted