Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu May 27 20:15:25 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:48:40AM -0700, David Barak wrote:
> --- On Thu, 5/27/10, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
> >
> > (Of *course* IPv6 is different, that's the whole
> > point.  We don't want
> > no legacy IP anymore)
>
> What's this "we" of which you speak?
>
> There are a whole lot of folks who think that IPv4 is a perfectly fine protocol, and the major problem with it is that its finitude is too close at hand.

Well, that *is* the problem with it - and thus, it's not a perfectly fine
protocol.

If people could have real IPv4 addresses wherever they want them, in
enough supply to avoid address space haggling everywhere and nasty tricks
with non-unique addressing in connected networks, indeed, then IPv4 would
be perfectly sufficient.  Unfortunately, as you say, it isn't.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  150584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279