Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon May 17 08:58:04 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 08:44:30AM +0200, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> > > 	DHCP to hand out DNS servers, NTP servers on request, and do
> > > 	dynamic update for the forward and reverse DNS maps.
> >
> > And the new feature you were looking for was to hand out a default-gw,
> > right? That's the "this" feature you were referring to and IETF didn't
> > want to do?
>
> I'm glad to see such patches (I'm tempted to say "about time").
>
> I would of course be even happier to see a *standardized* solution to
> let DHCPv6 hand out a default gateway. The lack of such a feature (and
> the strong religious opposition to it in certain circles), despite clear
> statements from several big operators that they need it, is one of the
> significant factors hampering IPv6 deployment.

	actually the Default Gateway option was - for me - a side effect.
	I wanted DNS servers.  having ripped off the covers,  finding
	the code being driven the way it was, I tossed in the proverbial
	towel and re-wrote it the way I wanted it.  One DHCP, address agnostic.
	All defined DHCP options (should) work with anything that is suported
	by the newer APIs.  If some brave/foolhardy souls want to take up
	the torch and get such an idea standardised, go for it.

--bill