odd dns behavior on osx

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Sun Jun 20 16:27:57 CEST 2010

* sthaug at nethelp.no

>> The bug report says NXDOMAIN, but now that you mention it, I agree that
>> NODATA would make more sense in order for it to be considered an OS X
>> bug.  Perhaps the two just got confused.  Can't confirm it myself though
>> as I don't own a Mac.
>
> I believe the point here is that if you receive an NXDOMAIN response
> to an A query, it says that neither A nor *any other* resource record
> exists for the give name - and thus you cannot get an AAAA later.

Yep, you've understood it correctly.  If the OpenRadar page is right
about it being an NXDOMAIN answer that causes the problem to manifest
itself, I would consider it to be a resolver bug instead of an OS X bug.

But, like I said, it's possible that the report just mixed up NODATA
with NXDOMAIN.  In that case it would most definitely be an OS X bug.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/