IPv6 cookbook - was RA vs. DHCPv6 discussion

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Jun 8 10:41:24 CEST 2010

> All these don't try to tell people that they must not create resources
> in
> a different language.

I have never seen anyone tell people that they must not create
resources in a different language.

> That's not something I asked you to fix. Just, you know, when someone
> says
> "I'll write up info" not to tell them they must write it in that wiki
> and
> thus by implication in English.

This is an English language mailing list. I think it is reasonable
to SUGGEST that when people write something good, in English,
for this mailing list, they should consider adding that information
to the getipv6.info wiki as well.

> Not if everybody who can parse its contents gets told that that is the
> only place they may leave information about IPv6 at, unless you
propose
> make that wiki multilingual (which I assume you are not). If everybody
> who
> understands IPv6 at all may just write there, how do you propose
> different-language resources get created? By translators who haven't
> got
> the faintest about what they are translating and produce gems like
> translating a backup link as tape storage connection?

Why do you want to boil the ocean? How will you translate the material
to Pashto, and to Somali? Don't you believe that Afghanistan and Somalia
should be on the Internet too?

The fact is that we cannot solve all the problems of the world but
we can solve the problems that are under our control. Regularly
updating the getipv6.info with good material that comes through
this mailing list, is something that everyone on this list has
control over.

--Michael Dillon

Think globally but act locally

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step