IPv6 cookbook - was RA vs. DHCPv6 discussion

Chris Buckridge chrisb at ripe.net
Thu Jun 3 17:10:39 CEST 2010

On 3 Jun 2010, at 16:40, Tim Chown wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2010, at 09:13, <michael.dillon at bt.com> <michael.dillon at bt.com
> > wrote:
>
>>> I do have a sense of deja-vu in a lot of instances, and all this has
>>> been
>>> covered before:  you're correct.  I also agree that existing sites
>>> simply
>>> need updating or new ownership just to get them pushed along.  I'm
>>> currently facing that as I go throw my own IPv6 planning for another
>>> group.
>>
>> Neither the 6net or the Janet sites are "cookbooks", neither are
>> wikis,
>> and there is no easy way to update them. A cookbook should allow
>> anyone
>> to post their recipe/solution for a problem that they have faced,
>> without requiring any bureaucratic process of contacting site owners.
>>
>> Hopefully the ARIN wiki already has links to the 6net and Janet
>> resources.
>
> As the author of the JANET guide, and a contributor to the 6NET
> Deployment Guide, I can maybe comment on both a little.
>
> I would say that it's unlikely the 6NET book will be updated, though
> some of the original contributors have had some discussion about the
> possibility.   The original text was just one of 100+ deliverables/
> outputs of a project that ran from 2002-2005.    Despite its age, a
> surprising amount of the guide is still accurate.    The 'problem'
> probably lies more with what's not included, e.g. new perspectives
> and solutions for IPv4/IPv6 integration (6rd, Teredo, NAT64,
> etc).    I am seeing if we can somehow distill the Word source into
> something wikifiable - I don't believe there should be any copyright
> issues on that, as it was produced largely by public funding (6NET
> being an EU IST project).
>
> As it happens I'm updating the JANET guide this month, and in
> parallel helping JANET(UK) produce some new IPv6 training material
> for network administrators.   Any comments on what to add to the
> JANET guide are welcome by direct mail.    This text would stay in
> fixed PDF form though as its a JANET-branded publication (JANET
> being the UK academic network).    I can certainly try to rewrite
> the updated bits in a more 'generalised' way to be more widely
> applicable.
>
> Tim

I'm one of the people at the RIPE NCC responsible for the IPv6 Act Now
website (http://www.ipv6actnow.org). It's not a website that can be
edited by users, so is probably not directly suited to the "cookbook"
format (though it does have links to resources like the 6Deploy site
and ARIN wiki). However, various RIRs do have a number of options that
might work well for this. Michael has already mentioned the ARIN IPv6
Wiki; RIPE Labs is another site that could be a good platform for
this. (http://labs.ripe.net)

RIPE Labs is already hosting a couple of IPv6-related resources that
users can have input to (and will shortly have a functionality upgrade
that will make direct user updates even easier):

The IPv6 CPE Survey: http://labs.ripe.net/content/ipv6-cpe-survey
Based on work already done by Marco Hogewoning, this was published
only a couple of days ago and we plan to grow it into an extensive
summary of CPEs and their IPv6 ability.

IPv6 Measurements: A Compilation: http://labs.ripe.net/content/ipv6-measurement-compilation
A list of various IPv6 measurements from around the web.

We'd be happy to to provide RIPE Labs as a platform for the cookbook,
and help out, where necessary, with collating some of the information.
To that end, I've started a forum topic on Labs where people could
post the type of information that you would like to see included:
http://labs.ripe.net/content/ipv6-cookbook-looking-ingredients

Depending on the response, we can then consider how best to proceed
with editing/collating the information provided.

Chris