The use of RIPng

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jun 2 18:18:55 CEST 2010

On 01/06/2010 21:56, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Now if you configure a service to listen only on a specific address,
> then the starting order *does* matter

ah, you're referring to the specific situation where you use the zebra
daemon to configure interface addresses _instead_ of using the native
operating system interface configuration mechanism.  Yes, that causes
problems, which is why people generally don't do this.  If you need
interface addresses in zebra, by all means put them in, but you'll need the
equivalent directives in the operating system startup configuration.

TBH, I've long given up on using server operating system routing daemons
for soho / sme stuff - it's not worth the hassle.  Routers are cheap.

> If you wait for the move from RIP to OSPF until you reach the
> limitations of RIP, most notably network diameter, then you have quite
> likely reached a point where you have to use both RIP and OSPF
> simultaneously for the migration phase.

Honestly, if you have built a RIP based network which comes to within
several orders of magnitude of reaching the limitations of RIP, you really
need to reconsider your career choice and think about moving to something
which doesn't involve computer networking.

Nick