The use of RIPng

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Tue Jun 1 21:58:03 CEST 2010

On 6/1/10 2:42 PM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> 	here we must part ways... sort of by definition, if there is
> 	a routing protocol running, its a router - granted (as you
> 	point out below) it may not forward packets (dependent on
> 	configuration options) but -understanding- the network topology
> 	past next-hop is a key attribute of routing.

> 	so other than defintional terms, i'm almost with you. :)

Huh, I tend to think of a router as a system that, you know, routes.
Call me crazy.  That may, or may not, involve a routing protocol.  And a
routing protocol, which is used to share topology and routing
information, need not be used by a system to make decisions about
routing.  Sure, that's by far and away the most common use of routing
protocol information, but I think going from the premise of a system
running a routing protocol software to that system necessarily being a
router is fraught with semantic peril.

There are any of a number of reasons that a system could run routing
protocol software and never forward a single packet, nor even have the
capability of forwarding a packet.  I think calling those systems
routers will lead to no end of confusion and you'll please pardon me if
I think your definition of "router" leaves more than a little bit to be
desired.

--
Jeff McAdams
jeffm at iglou.com