The use of RIPng

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Jun 1 20:42:30 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 02:36:45PM -0400, Jeff McAdams wrote:
> On 6/1/10 2:08 PM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 06:29:51PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>
> >>Ok, let me spell it out.  If you're running a routing protocol on your
> >>end-user workstations, you're probably doing it wrong.  If you're running
> >>routing protocol on your routers, then it goes like this:
>
> >	if you run a routing protocol on an end-station - you've turned it
> >	into
> >	a router...  (much like what happens in some anycast clusters for
> >	node
> >	failover)
>
> Uhm, no.

	here we must part ways... sort of by definition, if there is
	a routing protocol running, its a router - granted (as you
	point out below) it may not forward packets (dependent on
	configuration options) but -understanding- the network topology
	past next-hop is a key attribute of routing.

	so other than defintional terms, i'm almost with you. :)

--bill