IPv6 cookbook - was RA vs. DHCPv6 discussion

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jun 1 17:09:44 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 01 June 2010 10:42:24 pm michael.dillon at bt.com
wrote:

> Actually, I think we have reached an operational
>  consensus. There is no right answer that suits all
>  situations, just a number of best practices that you
>  have to choose from depending on your network situation.

Where I was coming from is; I'd like to review this when:

	- RFC 5006 gets widely accepted (or not).
	- DHCPv6 supports default route + prefix lengths (or not).
	- SLAAC gets widely accepted (or not).
	- Mac OS X supports DHCPv6 (or not).
	- RA Guard is widely implemented.
	- DHCPv6 Snooping is widely implemented.
	- SeND gets widely accepted (or not).

A lot of things on the Internet (and its operations) have no
right or wrong answer, but if anything has come out from
this thread, it's that we are very far from an optimal auto-
configuration mechanism for the LAN, particularly for
operators who need things to just work and could care less
about what 'ipv6-ops' is ranting about on Tuesday.

In the mean time, keeping these developments updated on the
ARIN IPv6 wiki (and the respective wiki's of the other
RIR's, as you rightly suggest) so we can all track overall
progress, from development and deployment, is most welcome.

Cheers,

Mark.