/127 between routers?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Jan 14 09:37:50 CET 2010

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:29:19 -0000
<michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

> >> The ARIN wiki
> >> (http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/IPv6_Addressing_Plans)
> >> encourages this kind of address plan.
>
> > It's a shame that that document doesn't provide a link to "RFC4291
> > - IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture", or any of it's ancestors
> (RFC3513,
> >  RFC2373, RFC1884) . I think it should be referencing them, stating
> what the
> >  official IPv6 addressing architecture model is, and stating why it is
> >  recommending differently to it. It should also provide a link to
> "RFC5375 -
> >  IPv6 Unicast Address Assignment Considerations".
>
> Actually, the page states quite prominently why it does not follow the
> RFCs,
> in the Note near the beginning. And it does have a link to RFC 5375.

Yeah, I'll now be more careful trusting other people's summaries of
documents I haven't read properly. I glanced though it, saw the
various prefix lengths mentioned e.g. /112, and figured it was saying
all the things about variable length interface IDs that some people have
been saying here.

> > The question is, which of those two has the least risk of devolving
> into the
> > corresponding 3. or 4? As the fundamental and authoritative design
> documents
> > for IPv6 (i.e. the RFCs, not books, wiki-pages or vendor
> recommendations
> > - they are all derived or should be derived from the RFCs),
>
> In a perfect world, the RFCs would be done first, and then people would
> build networks according to the RFCs. But in reality, the RFCs are never
> done, and often later RFCs incorporate good ideas that are brough to the
> table by implementers and network operators. The ARIN wiki attempts to
> collect the general consensus of IPv6 network operators as they build
> their
> FIRST PHASE of the IPv6 Internet. It will all evolve and change, and
> when
> it does, the set of RFCs describing IPv6 will have changed as well.

I understand that. Of the 3 versions of the IPv6 Addressing
Architecture RFCs (1884, 3513 and 4291), the 64 bit Interface ID
requirement was specified in RFC3513, published in April 2003, so it's
been part of the IPv6 addressing model for nearly 7 years.

Regards,
Mark.