/127 between routers?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Jan 6 11:01:53 CET 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 02:41:58PM -0800, Jim Burwell wrote:
> I've also wondered about the wisdom of perhaps using site-unique
> addresses for things like tunnel end points, similar to the way I've
> used RFC1918s for the same purpose in the IPv4 world.

Don't.  For the same reason you are not supposed to do so in the IPv4
world - it will leak packets (ICMP on traceroute or PMTUd) to the world
that come from source addresses that are not supposed to be seen
globally.

You can run the tunnels without explicit addresses, just using link-locals
(and the router will then pick another IPv6 address for sending out
ICMPs, potentially guided by configuring "ipv6 unnumbered loopback<n>").

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  144438

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279