IPv6 and BI-Directional APS

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Tue Jan 5 15:54:03 CET 2010

Hi All,

I was wondering (while I wait for Cisco to come back to me) if anyone
had a solution to the problem of the fact that IPv6 and APS don't seem
to function together correctly on  Cisco 7600s.

We have two 7600 series routers on either side of a protected STM-64, we
then run APS on both sides.

This works by allowing us to use the same V4 address on BOTH interfaces
on a single router with APS enabled, so irrespective of which interface
is in working mode and which is in protected the circuit stays working
(The other option would be to use a /29 across the interfaces with one
address per interface in the /29 for a total of 4 addresses and then run
IS-IS between the two routers and bgp neighbor to the loopbacks).

However, neither solution works with IPv6 because even with the APS
enabled you cannot have overlapping IPv6 subnets on different interfaces
on the same router.  This means that APS is effectively non-functional
when running IPv6.

We also considered running two separate /127s on each "set" of
interfaces, but there is no guarantee that if one side switches to the
protection the other side won't still be on working, in which case this
breaks as well.

Any ideas/solutions while I beg Cisco to fix this?

Andrew