/127 between routers?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Jan 5 15:47:37 CET 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Andrew Alston wrote:
> We use /127s all over the place on point to point links with no issues
> (We went this route after considering what was said in the latest link
> Janos posted below)
>
> Haven't really found any drawbacks with this yet

If you're using SDH or other links where the link type is
'point-to-point' (in BSD/Linux 'ifconfig' sense, i.e., there is no
neighbor discovery for link-layer address discovery), /127 is probably
a good idea considering the tradeoffs.  In practise, nobody has
implemented subnet-router anycast address mechanism that was a main
reason for writing RFC3627.

If you only use Ethernet, I don't see much point in /127 specifically,
other prefix lengths are fine as well.