IPv6 brokenness in Norway, Dec 2009

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Mon Jan 4 11:43:31 CET 2010

Hi and a happy new year to all of you,

I've attached a new set of numbers from December of my IPv6 brokenness
experiment.  Brokenness has gone down dramatically compared to November
(from 0.217% to 0.140%), it seems like something happened on the 25th of
November that improved things.  I have not yet tried to figure out
exactly what that was - perhaps a broken 6to4 or Teredo relay somewhere
got fixed?

When excluding Opera the numbers have also gone down slightly (from
0.023% to 0.018%), but looking at the dates it seems that this is an
effect of the holidays - perhaps due to students leaving their
dormitories (whose networks are known to filter 6to4).

Opera has promised me that the next update to their stable 10.1x branch,
due to be released early this year, will make it so that IPv4 is
preferred over IPv6 if the local v6 source address is within the Teredo
or 6to4 prefixes.  I'm crossing my fingers that they'll keep their word.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/