Safari on IPv6 ?

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 1 16:25:22 CET 2010

On 1 Feb 2010, at 14:40, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 02:32:07PM +0000, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> Can you describe situations where you should expect multiple answers
>> to have different information?  I don't think I understand what
>> mDNSResponder is doing because in normal DNS, modulo times when
>> information is changing, all answers should have the same data.
>
> Since you can't query DNS for "give me A+AAAA", the application query
> "give me whatever address you have!" will result in two DNS
> queries, one
> for A records and one for AAAA records.  Two queries, two packets, two
> record
> is available).

So using 'getaddrinfo' or some related call makes a single request to
mDNSResponder rather than making the app issue two requests itself?
If the app made two separate requests to a daemon then the daemon
would give two separate answers back.  Right?

> Querying for "ANY" doesn't work.

I was aware of that.

Thanks,

Sam Wilson
Network Team, IT Infrastructure
Information Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.