Safari on IPv6 ?

Ron Broersma ron at spawar.navy.mil
Mon Feb 1 14:22:31 CET 2010

Marco,

The confusing behavior you're seeing in OSX 10.6 is most likely the mDNSResponder issue reported earlier by Bernhard.  Apple switched to mDNSResponder for unicast DNS resolution in 10.6, but that broke IPv6 address selection because mDNSResponder takes whatever is the first response (A or AAAA) and drops (rejects) all other answers.  So, depending on how you ask, and depending on what address comes back first, there is no way for the rest of the system or applications to see all the responses and make appropriate address choices.  This seriously impacts IPv6 interactions, because it no longer deterministically prefers AAAA over A, but rather uses only the response that arrives first.

A detailed bug report (#733104) was filed last October.

As always, multiple bug reports to Apple will get their attention.

--Ron