Cisco LAC/LNS question

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 20:35:51 CET 2010

> So what's the recommended way of handing out dynamic IPs to customers?
> Can both the "Cisco way" I used and DHCPv6 be combined with the CPE just
> using either which one suits them?

If the CPE is not just a single host, there are two questions, possibly
with different answers.

1. How does the CPE get its own IPv6 interface address? The answer could be
SLAAC or DHCPv6. SLAAC is the lowest common denominator.

2. How does the CPE, acting as a router, get the subnet prefix that
it will announce to the customer network? DHCPv6-PD seems like the
obvious answer. See draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-08 for
the almost-agreed recommendations, and hold your breath for products.

    Brian