IPv6 capable anti virus/spam/... filter boxes for mail, web, ftp, IM, ...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Dec 8 19:03:20 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 09:51:31AM -0800, George Bonser wrote:

> These days I would be tempted to build my own such "appliance".  For
> example, obtain a rack mount fanless server such as something like:
>
> http://www.stealth.com/industrial_rackmounts_sr2625Fdatasheet.htm
>
> with a solid state disk.

I've built such based on http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm
with Intel server NICs and an old Dell PowerEdge 750,
also with Intel server NICs and pfSense (2.0 BETA 4).
No IPv6 in the GUI, so you're limited to manual hacks
but support is coming http://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/show/177

> Then use the Vyatta firewalling software (if you need it) and a modern
> Linux distribution such as Ubuntu for the services you need. At that
> point you should have a secure rack mount "appliance" with no moving
> parts that should provide a long unattended life.

The three boxes I have haven't died yet.