Thoughts about ipv6 white listing

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sat Dec 4 12:35:02 CET 2010

On 2010-12-04 12:28, George Bonser wrote:

>> Indeed that is what I mean. This problem will hit before, as such
>> one can ignore the fact that one even has IPv6 or is publishing
>> AAAA records at all.
>>
>> Especially the dropping of queries, which causes a time-out before
>> the A record gets resolved is very annoying.
>
> But is no different than the situation is right now, today.

Correct.

> If a client right now asks for an AAAA record, they get NOERROR and I
> have a log full of such requests.

You mean to say that what you stated is something you already do?

Did you document this somewhere so that people can actually find this
behavior and for which sites this is. This as people with problems do
google nowadays and will shout on twitter, better have your answer ready
for everybody to find. (do list all domains involved)

> So for those users, it presents no change at all.  It will not make
> anything any worse than it already is yet it will speed up those who
> actually do have good v6 connectivity.

Except those people with good v6 connectivity, like me for instance, but
who use a IPv4 DNS recursor, which can speak IPv6, won't get an AAAA
record and are surprised they don't, while they could.

This while people who have broken IPv6 connectivity get an AAAA and it
is still broken. Indeed no change at all.

Thus why are you trying to 'deploy' IPv6 again if you are actually not?
There indeed won't be any change.

Greets,
 Jeroen