XS4ALL Introduces native IPv6 for DSL customers

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at marcoh.net
Fri Aug 27 09:10:41 CEST 2010

On 27 aug 2010, at 07:36, Tore Anderson wrote:

> * Marco Hogewoning
>
>> XS4ALL OFFERS IPv6 TO ALL CUSTOMERS
>
> Congratulations!  I assume this is the world's first large rollout of
> universally available native IPv6 connectivity to residental end users?

Dunno, I haven't come across much large deployments.

> It does give you bragging rights to be sure!
>
> It would be interesting to see some statistics on how many users choose
> to enable it, and perhaps even more so how many of them disable it
> again.  And which kind of IPv6-related problems (if any) are commonly
> reported to your help desk, and how they are handled.  By the way, do
> you enable IPv6 by default for new customers?

Statistics are being collected, have to see how much we can share without getting issues with non-disclosures. We don't enable b default at the moment and there are 2 main reasons:

- The modem FW is still in beta and would rather not ship it by default, turning it on without a CPE that runs v6 gives a lot of pollution in all the system and screw our stats.
- We are pretty sure we won't see any problems, but better safe than sorry. If somebody chooses to enable v6 and runs into problems at least they know what changed. This is pretty new also for our support staff. Like you mentioned there ain't many companies running in this scale so we really don't know how much issues we will see, if any. The pilot gave some indication but those were techies with an above average knowledge level and direct access to engineering for support. Now it's Joe the plumber calling first line support and not even knowing what an IP address is :(

> Many providers are struggling with figuring out how to roll out IPv6,
> it seems.  So in addition to learning more about the customer response,
> it would be great to hear a more technical walk-through of how you did
> it, what problems you ran into, and how you solved them.  May I suggest
> that you give a presentation at the upcoming RIPE meeting?

It's on the list of things todo, I will consult with myself and my fellow chairs on an agenda slot :)

MarcoH