Why you shouldn't worry about IPv6 just yet

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat Aug 21 09:06:00 CEST 2010

> > I'd much rather be too early than too late ....
>
> That's what she said.
>
>    Marcus
>
> But on a serious note: The article shows the viewpoint of internet
> users. In theory they need not worry because they pay their providers
> for presenting them with a solution.

		actually, he is making the argument for NAT being a
	fundamental technlogy for the duration... and so as long as
	the ISP provides the "outside" functionality, he can be happy
	running 192.168.18.0/24 inside for the next x0 years.

		and having been early (anyone remember the prefix before 3ffe::?)
	a number of times, this time i'd rather be late.  but i'm not.

		its possible to "one-up" the game and convert to using all
	(native) IPv6 for your internal network and on the other side of your NAT
	have the IPv4 stuff - until your ISP gets its act together.  I've been
	using the IVI code (as described at SIGCOM  2007) to run native IPv6
	on the house network and IPv4 on the outside... you'll not see my IPv6
	prefix -unless- you have native IPv6 transit to me.

		if you don't like the crusty IVI code, I've heard there is
	something else outhere called AFTR? which might do the same thing.

--bill