SV: Google over IPv6

Ulrich Kiermayr ulrich.kiermayr at univie.ac.at
Thu Aug 19 12:38:50 CEST 2010

Hello,

On 19.08.2010, at 12:27, Bøvre Jon Harald wrote:

> Our network are not Google whitelisted, but for test we are still able to reach www.google.com over IPv6.
>
> You need to use a DNS from a whitelisted provider.
> I use Hurricane Electric 2001:470:20::2 as my primary DNS
> Works well, Youtube also start streaming in IPv6.
> But probably not very clever to use HE DNS on your DHCP toward customers.

Then it would be as clever to simply override the entrys for www.google.com in our Nameservers and hardcode the AAAAs there. But this is not what we want.

We are running all-dualstack for years now. and google is a way to generate v6 traffic. Esp. since all our Stundents in the WLAN networks do ipv6 (mostly without knowing/noticing).

lG uk
Ulrich Kiermayr                       jabber xmpp:uk at jabber.univie.ac.at
Leiter der Abteilung Datennetz und Telefonie              skype:kiermayr
Vienna University Computer Center                 phone +43 1 4277 14020
Universitaetsstrasse 7, 1010 Wien, AT               fax +43 1 4277  9140