IPv6-capable 10G switches

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Thu Aug 12 17:25:41 CEST 2010

Hi Nick,

* Nick Hilliard

> Brocade have ipv6 support on the roadmap for the TI24X.  However, it won't
> do full routes; istr that it only has enough fib capacity for a couple of
> thousand prefixes.  It also won't do BGP or MPLS.
>
> The X650 supports 12k prefixes.

I connect to transits and peers elsewhere so routing table constraints
and lack of BGP support isn't a problem.  Do you happen to know when the
roadmap says IPv6 is scheduled to be ready on the TI24X?

> You may want to revisit your requirements. There are currently no L3
> switches out there which fit your bill at that price range.  Maybe if you
> tripled or quadrupled your budget, you'd get something, but not at $15k.

Well, the G8124 lists at less than $15k (and I don't know anyone who
pays full list price for anything:) and it does appear to meet my
requirements.  Don't know about the nice-to-have items though - it would
be nice to hear from somebody that has first-hand experience with
running it in production.

You'll get the Arista for less than $15k too, and IPv6 is supposedly
planned for a future software release.  No idea of when though, and you
never know if it will require a feature licence once it arrives...

> The Juniper EX2500 is a rebadged G8124.  If you have access to J
> documentation, you should be able to read up on its specs.

I know, but as far as I know Juniper has stripped away all L3 features
from it so it's not really an option.

Thanks for your reply,
--
Tore Anderson