IPv6-capable 10G switches

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Aug 12 16:50:11 CEST 2010

On 12/08/2010 15:33, Tore Anderson wrote:
> I need a couple of new core switches for a medium-sized data centre I'm
> setting up soon, and I'm curious to hear if any of you have any
> recommendations or tips on suitable products?  The budget is limited,
> maybe around US$15.000 per unit max, so I'm focusing on the
> fixed-configuration models for now.
>
> My requirements are at least 20 SFP+ ports and full L3 support for both
> IPv6 and IPv4 (fast-path IPv6, OSPFv3, VRRPv3, filters).  On the
> nice-to-have list are things like candidate configuration database with
> commit/rollback capabilities, in-service software upgrades, MPLS, and
> stacking support.
>
> Disappointingly enough I've only found two switches that appear to
> satisfy my requirements so far:  the Extreme Summit X650 and the BNT
> RackSwitch G8124.  The latter is completely unknown to me, but I do have
> some Extremes already and I can't say I'm a very big XOS fan...

Brocade have ipv6 support on the roadmap for the TI24X.  However, it won't
do full routes; istr that it only has enough fib capacity for a couple of
thousand prefixes.  It also won't do BGP or MPLS.

The X650 supports 12k prefixes.

You may want to revisit your requirements. There are currently no L3
switches out there which fit your bill at that price range.  Maybe if you
tripled or quadrupled your budget, you'd get something, but not at $15k.

The Juniper EX2500 is a rebadged G8124.  If you have access to J
documentation, you should be able to read up on its specs.

Nick