Requesting feedback for a considered DNS test

Andrew Yourtchenko ayourtch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 17:49:22 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Steve Bertrand <steve at ipv6canada.com> wrote:
> On 2010.04.30 08:14, Gert Doering wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:01:27PM +0200, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:
>>> the v6-only DNS server test always succeeds so far - because I do not
>>> have one readily available yet.
>
>> We currently don't have v6-only name servers, but if needed, I could
>> setup such an alias and point it to the v6 address of one of our
>> regular DNS servers - and then have it serve whatever information
>> would help your project.
>
> Along with Gert, I'll help out in any which way that I can. I'd even be
> more than happy to provide a box here on my network with SSH access for
> your use only, so that you can look at the picture from a bit of a
> different angle.

For the "test them" use case multiple locations could help to refine
the differences, but then one would need to put more than one "probe"
into the page - I'm not sure how this would affect the user experience
overall.

OTOH for the "test me" use case, having a global network of "looking
glasses" might be very useful. I'm thinking of something that would
allow writing small specialized plugins and would fit into 128M RAM
VPS - so that it would be almost zero-cost for the person who runs it
=> we could get a bigger network of those.

What do you think of this approach ?

cheers,
andrew